Sunday, June 6, 2010

Overcoming a defeatist attitude. Part 1

Your confidence in your competence, what is called your successability, plays a large part in how motivated you are. If there is a particular goal you desire, but in your heart of hearts you feel that you will not be able to achieve it, you will not be motivated to go after it. It follows, of course, if you don’t go after it, you guarantee you will not achieve it.

When we face such a situation, wanting something but not believing we are capable of getting it, are we caught in a no-win situation? Luckily, we are not. There is a strategy we can use to extricate ourselves from the unpleasantness of the situation. The strategy is called overcoming a defeatist attitude. With this strategy and a little bit of work, we can restore our self confidence, and become motivated to move forward toward our dreams.

Encouraging someone to “be more confident” isn’t very helpful, is it? What they need are specific tasks, behaviors, they can do that will result it them being more confident. This strategy will give you exactly that.

The first step is to identify those things that make you feel you will not succeed at your goal. Do you lack certain skills, skills you feel you need to achieve your goal? Do you lack the contacts you feel are necessary to succeed?

Do this step by brainstorming. Though brainstorming is usually thought of as being done by a group, research has shown that brainstorming is more effective for individuals. In this situation what it means is non-critically thinking of answers to the question, “What do I think will prevent me from achieving my goal?” or “What things will I need to do to get me to the place so I can achieve my goal?”

Try not to think of the issue as how you are deficient as a person, but rather as in what way you have not yet grown so as to be confident in this situation. In other words, the focus will be not on your deficits, but rather on what you can do to help yourself. Non-critically means we just list the things that pop into our mind when we ask the question. We don’t judge our answers, nor do we judge ourselves. We are merely gathering information.

Take some time with this very important first step. Only by identifying specifically what is making you lack confidence can you move forward and remedy the situation.

Once you have identified those things that are adversely impacting your confidence, the next step is to come up with actions that will counter those things.

In my next blog post, on Wednesday, I will provide you with guidance in coming up with the actions you can take to increase your confidence in your competence, and get you moving once again toward your dreams.

6 comments:

  1. This is helpful! People keep encouraging me to employ the power of positive thinking, but actionable tasks are what build toward the "Yes I can" mentality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, anonymous. I'm glad it helped. Positive thinking is great, but not by itself. As you say, you need the actionable tasks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. apart from God, who gives us wisdom and strength, we can only do what our 'flesh' is capable at the time. With Christ, his power is made perfect in our weakness. It is amazing how he takes broken vessels and pours in his love and grace and uses us for his glory. he uses all our weakness to exercise comfort and compassion towards others. Thank you for your helpful thoughts. We are overcomers in Christ. With a goal and his help we can do all things in Christ who strengthens us. (I know others may have different religious beliefs, which I respect, this is where I have found my hope.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need help in this area bad I've been in a eight year relationship that I've allow this man to be verbally abusive To me and my two boys and a long shopping list of his behaviors I'm just sick and tried of but I feel helpless as if I can not do this on my own I'm so weak so down I don't even have any more strength to fight him off please help

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello: It sounds like we know the same man.
      I too was mentally defeated by just the same type man.
      Thru counselling this is what I learned...Only really weak people prey on anothers wounds.
      Cruely belongs to the weak!
      I needed to forgive myself for staying in that type of relationship as long as I did-6 yrs.
      My biggest fear was that I was teaching my daughter to accept such unacceptable behaviour from a man.
      I was teaching her Love is Pain! Shame on me!
      I called a friend for support. And put his suitcase on the bed and said" ENOUGH" Get your shit and GET OUT!!!
      He knew I was serious-he packed and he got out!
      I greived that relationship for 4 yrs.
      What I learned was I wasn't greiving that relationship-I was greiving the loss of a dream!
      I deserved so much more than him.
      He had his chance and he blew it!
      I would never believe he was right for me!
      Next!!!
      Good Luck!
      Ms. Deserves The Best in Life!

      Delete
  5. Oh, I love this! I was just talking about overcoming the defeatist attitude. And man alive, am I ready to do it. Thank you for putting this together; people like myself appreciate resources like this.

    ReplyDelete