Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Parable on Self Motivation

My favorite story from the bible is the parable of the sower. It tells of a farmer who goes out to the fields to sow his seeds. As he sowed, some of the seed fell on the wayside, and the birds ate it. Others fell into the weeds, and the weeds grew up around the young spouts and choked them. Some fell on a rock where there was no moisture so the seed withered away. Only the seed that fell on good, fertile soil yielded strong healthy plants.

There are many things I can learn from this parable, as from most parables, which is probably one reason why teachers, like Jesus, used parables to teach.

When I read it, I see the farmer as God, who gives each of us so many wonderful gifts, our seeds. Some of us are given musical talent, some athletic talent, others artistic talent, and others the ability to write. But just because we are given a gift doesn’t mean we have accepted it. Though some of us became aware of our gift early in our life, others of us never get in touch with it. If you aren’t aware of your gift, it’s hard to accept it. But even those who are aware of their gifts frequently reject them outright, or don’t take the steps they need to take to fully utilize their gifts.

It is these gifts that I referring to when I write and speak about the vision.

If we don’t know what our vision is, what gifts we have been given, what our potentials are, we need to discover them. Knowing why you are here will give your life so much more meaning. The vision quest will start you on that path of discovery.

The second thing I learn from this parable is that like those seeds I can only grow in the right environment. If I associate with people who have no interest in fulfilling their potential, nor in me fulfilling mine, I will be like those seeds that fall on the wayside and are eating by birds. If I work in a physical environment that detracts from my ability to manifest my vision, I will be like the seeds that fall onto the rock, where there was no moisture, and the seed withered away.

On the other hand, if I do things to make my environment positive, like surround myself with people who encourage me and who serve as positive role models for the path I have chosen, or take steps to learn skills I need to have to manifest as my vision, I will have guaranteed that my seeds have fallen on fertile soil and are growing into strong, healthy plants.

Here’s a short, simple prayer I use based upon this parable: God, make me fertile soil for the seeds of your overwhelming abundance.

Why not spend some time today thinking about the gifts that you have been given, and thinking of ways you can be fertile soil for these these wonderful seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment