Monday, July 5, 2010

A case study in the self motivation model, Part Three

I shared with you in my last posting how I maximized the motivating power of my vision by making it clear, and making it worthwhile to me. In this posting I will share how I maximized the motivational power of my successability and environment.

As a reminder, the model for self motivation is:

MOTIVATION = ƒ (VISION, SUCCESSABILITY, ENVIRONMENT).

Vision is that thing you want to accomplish, the change you want to make in your life; successability is your confidence in your competence; and environment is the place you do your work (physical environment) and the people and organizations that are in your life or that are available to you (social environment). Anything you do to one of the three factors on the right will automatically impact your motivation.

Remember from my last posting the vision I came up with: The change I want is a large number of qualified followers to my Twitter account. I want this change because when the book is completed and printed I want to be able to get the word out through Twitter to people who are interested in buying a book that will teach them how to make their dreams come true, or who are able and willing to get the word out about my book to those who are interested in such a book. A qualified follower is someone who fits in either or both of those two categories.

I shared earlier I didn’t feel confident about my ability to get a large number of qualified followers. I didn’t even feel confident about getting a small number of unqualified buyers. I knew I could make a large favorable impact on my motivation by taking steps to improve my successability. I know two things will improve my confidence in my competence, clarity and a moderate degree of risk. I decided to improve it by achieving clarity.

A great strategy for achieving clarity is the three step process for successability. The steps in the three step process for successability are:

vision >>> goals >>> tasks

The first step was done; I had my vision. But what were my goals, those accomplishments which would result in my vision coming true? I didn’t even know what they were. But I did know what I needed to do next. I needed to figure out what I needed to do to build such a group of followers. Sometimes you will have the same goals I had. They are temporary goals, place holders until I figure out what I needed to do to make my vision come true. Here they are:

1) figure out what my goals are,

2) accomplish them.

Now I had my two goals. Prioritizing them is not really an issue, since I can’t accomplish my goals until I figure out what they are. Consequently, I have my first goal, figure out how to get a large quantity of qualified followers on Twitter.

As you can see, what the three step process for successability did for me, and what it can do for you, is force you to figure out where you are going, rather than just proceeding without a plan.

I clearly don’t know how to increase the number of my qualified followers. I lack that skill. When you find yourself in a similar position, lacking a skill or knowledge, immediately look to your environment, the third factor of self motivation, for resources to gain that skill or knowledge. Once I looked at my environment, I quickly reached the third step, I had my task. My task was to make an expert in Twitter a part of my environment. I would learn from my expert what my further goals were and how to achieve them. But rather than having her personally come into my social environment, which I could have done by hiring her as a consultant, or by taking her teleseminar, I purchased her book and made it a part of my physical environment. My second task will be reading the book and putting it into action.

As I wrote in my last posting, it’s not complicated becoming motivated. That’s why we have a model, so that anyone can do it.

Follow the model and you will get motivated.

No comments:

Post a Comment