Sunday, April 25, 2010

The vision quest

In an earlier post I wrote that when I was younger I was not motivated, and my mom, even though she wanted me to be motivated, was not able to help me. The problem was that neither of us knew that to be motivated the first step is to have a worthwhile pursuit, something you feel passionately about.

My first wife, Karen, was passionate about her professional life, and I envied her. How I envied her and her passion. She built a program for home based child care, she started a drug rehab program. She knew what she wanted to do and she went out and did it.

I, on the other hand, even in my early grown up life, kind of coasted, just like I did when I was a kid. I did well at what I did. I graduated from a prestigious university, and went on to earn a law degree, but I never was highly motivated. So I decided to find my passion.

I somehow intuitively knew that in order for me to be motivated, really motivated, I needed something I was passionate about.

In the model for self motivation, I have made that worthwhile something, that thing to be passionate about, the vision. I couldn’t think of anything that would be more exciting, more worthwhile, than finding out why I am here, and fulfilling that purpose. And so I set upon a vision quest, a search for my vision. In my next couple of blog postings I will describe four strategies I used in my vision quest. Perhaps they can help you in yours. The four strategies are:

  1. My waking dreams
  2. My inventory
  3. My philosophy statement
  4. Look to your desires

Please join me as I present these four strategies.

No comments:

Post a Comment